A Short Train Ride from Manhattan—Winberie’s Restaurant & Bar is housed in the historic Summit Opera House.
Designed in 1893 for the Women’s Christian Temperance Union by architect Theodore Mead, Jr. In return for title to the property, Civil War veteran Joel G. Van Cise completed the construction and provided the W.C.T.U. with a local headquarters. (He also used the site as a rostrum when he ran for U.S. President on the Prohibition Party ticket.) In addition, the building housed an 800-seat Vaudeville stage hall that became Summit’s very first movie house, a coffee shop, reading rooms, resort-quality sleeping rooms and a basement that boasted sixty-foot bowling alleys. Visit this Location »